Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chapter 5 - A Divine Message

It has now been more than 65 years since my people were torn from our land and brought to the pagan city of Babylon. I have served under the Babylonian kings in high positions, most recently under King Nabonidus and his son Belshazzar. Whoever has been king has embarked on military expeditions, but last night the fight was brought to Babylon.

Belshazzar was having a feast which involved much drunkeness. What made this party detestable was that the court was using the holy goblets and other items from the temple of our God in Jerusalem. According to the story I heard, a hand appeared and wrote something on the wall of the dining hall: "Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin." Belshazzar had me brought before him to interpret the meaning of this writing since none of his other "wise" men were able to do so. He offered me gifts and an even higher position in his kingdom for the interpretation, but I declined the gifts. After all, what is wealth and power to me at my old age?

Before giving Belshazzar the meaning, I warned him how the Most High had taken the kingdom away from his grandfather Nebuchadnezzar for time, and it was only after he acknowledged God's sovereignty that the authority was returned. The writing must have been a message because of Belshazzar's disgrace of God's name through the use of the temple items. The message meant that God would bring Belshazzar's reign to an end because he had not met God's standard. The kingdom would be divided to the Medes and Persians.

Though I resisted, the king gave me the gifts he promised. That would be his final command, as he was slain that night by the army of the Medes and Persians. The army took the city of Babylon, and Darius the Mede was proclaimed king over the land. This new nation was the chest of silver from Nebuchadnezzar's dream those many years ago.

The kingdom of Babylon finally received its just punishment. Permanent judgment was not carried out against Nebuchadnezzar, perhaps because he turned from his wicked ways on each occasion. But apparently Belshazzar didn't learn from his grandfather. This is again confirmation of God's power over all kingdoms and rulers of the earth. I'm eager to see how I can serve God under this new ruler who seems to be more kind than others in his position.

No comments:

Post a Comment